Every medication is beneficial only if it is taken with proper consultation from the doctor. Never decide the dosage for yourself, as a doctor is the best person to understand your medical history and recommend the right dosage for you. Codeine Phosphate is an alkaloid that is attained from Opium and is in the form of white crystals. The medication is used in the treatment of cough, cold and other allergies.
Essential considerations of Codeine Phosphate
Listed below are the pointers to explain the right way of using Codeine Phosphate:
- Codeine Phosphate is meant for oral consumption and should be preferably taken with a glass of water. There is no such compulsion to take the drug with or without food, but if it makes you acidic, it is better to take it with food. Be very careful about going through the written instruction on your prescription and never take an overdose of the drug.
- Before starting with the medication for small children, it is essential to discuss the dosage with your doctor. The dosage and frequency varied from child to child depending on age, medical history, body mass index and several other factors.
- In individual patients, the prolonged use of Codeine can lead to addiction or severe dependence on the drug. Always disclose to your doctor, if you have a medical history of some substance disorder, such as alcohol misuse or some depression.
Things to be noted
- Always share a comprehensive medical history with your doctor to understand the right dosage for your system. It would be best if you did not hide any previous medical, especially psychiatric conditions.
- In some patients, the medicine alone might not be super useful in treating body pain, and hence, they should supplement Codeine Phosphate with some other pain relievers. Ask the doctor to explain to you’re the risks of developing tolerance and how to handle the same.
- Be alert never to do overconsumption of the medicine, and in severe cases, it can even lead to death. Restrict the dosage as per the doctor’s recommendation to make the most of the drug.
- Ending the treatment must not be sudden, and the withdrawal symptoms can be damaging. Ask your medical professional on how to reduce the dosage, and about the right way to stop consumption of the drug.
- The right way to store the medicine is at room temperature and away from heat and direct sunlight.
- For a pregnant woman as well as a lactating mother, the medicine should be taken, only if mentioned by the gynaecologist. Never take the drug without consulting with the doctor as it can put an adverse impact on the health of the mother and might also transfer the ill effects to the baby.
- Always keep an eye on some of the severe side effects and once identified, immediately report the same to your doctor. Some of the most dangerous ones include dependence, seizures; slow heartbeat rate and breathing problems.
Codeine Phosphate is an effective medicine for treating mild to moderate coughing accompanied by neck pain. Always consult a medical expert to know the right dosage to experience only the positives of the drug.