Codeine is a medicine that is recommended for treating mild to moderate level pain. The drug should strictly be
consumed only on having a proper doctor’s recommendation; otherwise, it can damage more than relief.
Some of the conditions to self-monitor before starting with the consumption of Codeine
tablets are listed here:
One should strictly abstain from using the opioid medication if you have any of the following listed conditions:
- Any breathing problem, especially severe asthma
- Stomach or intestine blockage
- Getting frequent asthma attacks
- In specific individuals, the codeine can adversely impact the liver, causing prolonged breathing and even
Medical history conditions that your doctor must know:
- Liver or kidney disease
- Any minor or significant breathing problems
- Sleep-related problems like Sleep Apnea
- Abnormal spine curvature causing difficulty breathing
- Any significant head injury
- Low blood pressure levels
- Digestive tract blockages
- Thyroid issues
- Urination problems
- Drug addiction
Key indicators that need immediate medical attention
- People who have experienced severe side effects of Opioid medicine have complained of slow breathing. Hence,
the caregiver must rush to seek medical attention on witnessing slow breathing with pauses, discoloration of
lips, or uneasiness to get up from the sleep.
- The severe side effects of taking Codeine tablets are more likely to be seen in older adults, and those who
are overweight or malnourished.
- The long-term use of codeine can even affect fertility in both the sexes
Risk factors linked with codeine addiction
Many people tend to develop an addiction to codeine tablets. There are a number of factors that can lead to
addiction to Codeine.
Some of the key causes that can bring codeine addiction are:
- Genetic Factors: Sometimes, the addiction tendency flows from the genes, and it can be for
any substance we eat or inhale. If the allergy is seen in a first-degree relative, then there is a high
possibility to get that transferred to the children.
- Biological factors: The researchers have also linked interaction of the codeine drug with
the brain with the tendency to develop a dependency. Doctors are working to rectify these effects of codeine
- Environmental factors: The environment in which a person is also living intensely impacts
the tendency to develop codeine addiction. Those who grow up in an environment where addiction is rampant
are at a higher risk of developing addiction disorders. Those who begin drug abuse at an earlier age are
more likely to develop an addiction later when they grow.
- Psychological factors: Having any psychological problem can also read to the development of addiction to
The Codeine tablets must be consumed only after getting a proper recommendation from the doctor. Those who hide
their medical history are more likely to face the side effects and develop dependence. Be very clear about your
medical history and bring the same to your doctor’s notice for fetching great returns. Never change the dosage
on your own, and always stick to the dose recommended. Even stopping the drug must be a systematic and informed
procedure to get excellent returns.