Gabapentin is a widely used medication to treat neuropathic pain and partial seizures. The medicine is readily available under the brand name, “Neurontin”.
Some of the key causes of are Diabetic neuropathy, central pain, and postherpetic neuralgia. The effectiveness of the medicine is pretty good and as per the reports, approximately 30-40% of the patients who were given Gabapentin have experienced great relief.
Are there any side effects of Gabapentin?
The answer to this question is yes; certain side effects have been linked with Gabapentin. Some of the most common side effects include sleepiness and a feeling of .
Other severe side effects that are associated with the drug are suicidal thoughts, respiratory issues, and extreme allergic reactions. Considering the same, a lower dose is recommended for those with kidney problems.
A background study
The Gabapentin drug was initially approved for usage in the year 1993. The drug has been available as a generic medication since 2004. In the year 2018, it became the eleventh most regularly recommended tablet.
In the 1990s, the subsidiary of Pfizer (Parke-Davis) adopted many illegal techniques to encourage the physicians for prescribing Gabapentin to the patients looking for similar medical solutions.
Medical uses of Gabapentin
- The Gabapentin is majorly recommended for treatment of local seizures and pain due to neuropathic treatments, certain anxiety disorders, and conditions of Bipolar Disorder.
- The Gabapentin is good for seizures but is not considered to be an effective remedy for generalized Epilepsy.
- Neuropathic pain: Recommended as a first-line treatment in the cases of chronic neuropathic pain, this medication applies to all the neuropathic pain conditions, excluding for trigeminal neuralgia. It has been observed that Gabapentin shows very moderate effectiveness for neuropathic pain, and only a few of all patients get the desired relief. Also, it is important to note that the medicine is not effective in treating pain linked with HIV-associated sensory neuropathy, and the one that occurs due to cancer.
- Anxiety: Gabapentin has shown significant results in treating people with varied anxiety disorders. Once, a controlled trial was performed of breast cancer survivors who were suffering from anxiety, and in a trial, Gabapentin showed wonders.
- Drug dependence: The remedy has been extensively valued for relieving the patients suffering from addiction by bringing down the key symptoms of alcohol withdrawal as well as cravings associated with it. It is important to note that Gabapentin didn’t show any effectiveness in curing cocaine dependence, and in opiate withdrawal symptoms.
- Other recommended uses: In addition to the above-stated health benefits of Gabapentin, the drug is also prescribed as a first-line treatment for treating the acquired symptoms. The medicine is known for decreasing the frequency of hot flashes, especially in menopausal women and patients suffering from breast cancer.
- Gabapentin has established a credible name for treating restless legs syndrome. The drug is also known for alleviates body itching due to kidney failure, and other common causes.
Gabapentin is available as a capsule and also as an extended-release drug that is meant for oral consumption. Always let your doctor understand your detailed medical history so that he can recommend the right dosage. Also remember, that there should not be a gap of more than 12 hours between two doses of the medicine. Never skip a dose and always report if you experience any severe side effects. Every decision about the consumption or stoppage must be taken by a medical professional. Make an informed decision today to seek long-term benefits with minimal chances of facing any side effects.